Shipping moto

Shipping from Sydney, Australia to Port Klang, Malaysia

I personally shipped out of Sydney, but it is just as east to do it from Brisbane, Melbourne, or Perth. Also it’s possible to ship to Singapore or Thailand, but Singapore will cost you much more. Here is the LINK to my post from what I went through on the Australian side (LINK) or here is the summary of what I did to prepare on the Australian Side:
The carnet is required to enter many countries along the way with your own vehicle. To sum it up, it’s pretty much paperwork that you have to show at the border, which guarantees you will exit the country with your vehicle. To get my carnet I worked with the amazingly helpful Tahlea from NRMA travel ( As far as I know, they are the only ones who will do it in Sydney. I had been told that it takes approximately two weeks to receive the carnet after application. I really wanted to get my bike to Malaysia around the 20th of November, which meant I needed to get it on the ship leaving the 31st, and the cargo cutoff date was the 27th. I bought the bike on the 13th, rushed to the RTA (Australian motor registry) to get it registered in my name, got the application all filled out and scanned, scanned my licenses and passport, and then right as I was about to email everything to Tahlea a massive storm hit and the power went out. It looked like a scene from one of those storm chaser shows. I’ve never seen a wall of nastiness like it before. Very ominous. It proved to be the start of the snow storm which would trap me in Blackheath for a few days. I wasn’t able to get the paperwork to her until the late afternoon on the 14th. I told her that I really needed it by the following week, and she made it happen. I was stressed out worrying about it, but for no reason. She had it ready for me first thing in the morning on the 22nd. It’s amazing how much joy can come from an envelope of paperwork.
This was another big thing to organise, but it was made easy by Stewart Grimley at Tradelanes Global Solutions PTY LTD. His company is an international freight forwarder ( The company used to ship the bike is AGS World Transport, which has their offices at Port Botany. I was helped me at every step, and every little question I had he would reply immediately via email. He can organise shipping motorcycles from all the major ports in Australia. I found his info on The HUBB, and would definitely recommend him. It’s a bit overwhelming trying to figure out where everything needs to go and the logistics, but Stewart and the AGS staff helped me all along the way. My bike will be going from Port Botany, Sydney to Port Kelang, Malaysia. It should take eighteen days and arrive on the 17th of November. The ship will be leaving on Halloween, so I’m hoping dearly that my bike doesn’t end up haunted. There were only a few things that I had to handle; Picking up a motorcycle crate from the dealer (I got mine at Sydney City Motorcycles in Campelltown), take in my carnet to AGS’s head office at the port so they could get it cleared with customs, and crate the bike up. They were super helpful and let me drop off the crate a few days early to their air freight warehouse. This was super helpful because sold Moby II on Saturday, and would have had nowhere to store it until monday. Crating it up wasn’t the easiest job. It actually took me most of the day, and wasn’t helped by the gusty winds blowing everything around. The crate came as a bottom, top, front and back piece, piece to hold the front axle down, four side bars, some tie downs, and a whole bunch of bolts. A guy at the warehouse said that people pay a lot to get their bikes crated up, and was surprised I did it myself for fifty bucks. To get the bike to fit in the crate I had to remove the front wheel, handlebars, windscreen, mirrors, handguards, rear top case, and the ammo cans. Also, it had to be empty of fuel and the battery disconnected. I was able to pack most of my stuff into the crate as well, and then put a cover over it.
It took 17 days to reach Port Klang from Sydney, exactly on time as scheduled.

Malaysian Side:

The Malaysian side didn’t go quiet as smoothly as I had anticipated. I was stuck in Kuala Lumpur for about a week and a half longer than expected. Mainly because people were very unclear and just didn’t know how I was supposed to obtain an ICP (International Circulation Permit), which you must have to clear customs. Even the shipping agent had no idea what the process was. Here is the LINK to my post on dealing with everything in Malaysia (LINK) or here is a summary of what I did:
After two weeks in Kuala Lumper I decided to take things into my own hands. The first week was no big deal because I anticipated this for unloading and inspections. The following week I was led in ten different directions by incompetent people and had made absolutely no progress. I didn’t even have my paperwork. I got up early Monday with three people telling me I needed to do three different things, and all of them involved getting Malaysian insurance. Everyone told me that this was the only way to obtain an ICP (international circulation permit) from the government, which is what customs needed to clear me. The problem was nobody would give me insurance because the motorcycle isn’t registered in Malaysia, and nobody knew where I could get it. I went from office to office all over the city, being sent to building after building. Kelly, from the forwarding company, said I needed to wait until Thursday for a Puspakom roadworthiness inspection at the warehouse, which would then allow me to buy insurance, then get an ICP (international circulation permit), and then I could unpack my crate and get it out. Zilin, who I couldn’t even understand on the phone, was holding on to my paperwork and telling me to just wait for his phone call about the insurance. A couple people at the AAM (Malaysian auto club) were telling me that the insurance should come through soon and if not they would try to find some place else. Throw in many other ideas being suggested and I was confused beyond belief. I could tell they all were talking out of their asses and had absolutely no confidence in what they were telling me. I knew I had to make something happen, and that’s when everything started to come together. I caught the train to the port without a plan, except to get something done. I called Zilin and told him I wanted my paperwork. Another guy from the office showed up with everything, and started right in on trying to help me just like he had. My luck sort of changed earlier when I was talking to Kelly on the phone and she was very adamant that it was impossible to get in and do anything with my bike. There was a 10 ringgit note lying in the street. I expected there to be dog poop in between it (not that we used to do that as kids), but it was a nice new one. I used that to get me and the new guy some lunch. He was a go getter and made some calls and figured out that I should be able to get in and unpack my crate and get the motorcycle put back together. I don’t understand what he was saying or who he was talking to, but eventually told me I could go. The funny part is that it was kelly who sent a fax to the port authority giving me permission to go in. Just an hour earlier she insisted it was impossible. That lady gave me the wrong information at every turn. I’m learning to never believe anything you’re told here and always dig deeper. The guy drew me a map of where I needed to go at Northport. After managing to track down the entry gate to Northport and getting a pass, I roamed my way to the warehouses. As I made my way through the port I sang the song “reunited and it feels so gooooood”, or whatever it’s called, and I don’t know any other words. Warehouse B2 told me to go to B3, B3 told me to go to B4, B4 sent me to B6. The ladies at B6 sent me back to B4 with a paper to get authorisation. A man there got concerned and said it needed to be a day in advance and I thought I was screwed. Then people went into action, and the ladies were running this way and that making phone calls. After a half hour wait in the office surrounded by young muslim girls giggling underneath their headscarves, one of them came over and handed me a form giving me permission to work on the bike. Five minutes later I heard a loud bang outside the office, and opened the door to find my long lost crate sitting before me. It looked so small and simple, and I didn’t understand why all this had to be so complicated. A small crowd gathered around in anticipation. I found my 12mm socket and started unbolting the crate, but hardly got started when a Chinese guy took it and got to work. Everyone joined in. Guys cut away the rope and tie-downs. Everyone else might have been as excited as I was. It felt like Christmas morning opening the best present ever. I spent four hours un-crating it, reattaching the front wheel back on, the handlebars, cables and levers, and my cases. It surprisingly went back together nicely after taking it all apart in a hurried rush a month ago. It was all ready to go and drive off into the sunset, but I still had the customs to hurdle. I had to get an ICP. I spent Tuesday going all over Kuala Lumpur to insurance offices and different branches of JPJ (the agency that issues the ICP). After nothing good happening, I got the idea to try using my Australian insurance. I called a few people and they all assured me that this wouldn’t work. Mrs. Woo, from AAM, even told me she had called someone up high and that they told her this wouldn’t work. I had lost faith in all these people though, and decided that this would be my best option. On Wednesday morning I went to the first JPJ office, which sent me to a larger one where they should be able to issue one. The second one had never done anything like it before, and the guy was eager to help me out. After a half hour of phone calls, he sent me to the JPJ headquarters in Putrajaya where all the main government offices are (outskirts of KL). It’s a huge complex, and took trains and buses to reach. I made it to the entrance, so close, and saw the big sign showing pictures of men with shorts and crosses through them. I tried to scamper up to the desk without the little lady seeing my shorts, but she caught me and denied me entrance. I was not to be denied and went on a search for some pants. I asked all of the military security guys I could find until a couple of them helped me out. The smallest soldier there went and got me a pair of his pants. It took a lot of wiggling and worming to get into them. They were a good four inches from being able to button, fit skin tight, and made it to my shins. They were capris on me, and made me walk like a penguin. I don’t understand why these were so much better, but they allowed it, and got a big laugh from them as well. I went into the office and confidently handed them my Carnet de Passage, passport, registration, licenses, and a print out of my Australian insurance. I flirted and joked with them as sweetly as I could with a big smile. The next twenty minutes was nerve racking, and I knew I had gotten to my last ditch effort. I watched the Malaysian soap opera on the TV just to keep my mind off of it. Then a nice lady came over and handed me the ICP all filled out with my info, and an official stamp!! I could have kissed everyone in that office. I hopped and skipped my way out on top of the world. I think my happiness rubbed off on the front entrance lady, or she still thought my pants were funny. After a few days of putting my mind to it, I got it sorted. In the morning I took the first train to Port Klang and arrived to customs just as they were opening. After the way everything had gone I was still a bit nervous, but everything went fairly smooth. The customs officer was even nice enough to drive me into the port to do some paperwork, drove me back to customs to finish off everything, and then drove me back into the port. Awesome guy with a huge smile. It would have been ten times as difficult without his help. After going back and forth between a few offices for a few hours, I was finally cleared to go. Excitement flowed through me as I exited the port gates and was free at last. All the troubles of the past weeks are forgotten. Everything happens for a reason.

The cost is very reasonable and turned out to be less than I thought it would be.
Here is a breakdown:
Total freight charges paid to Stewart: (AU$ 460)…..US$400
Fees to forwarding agent at Port Klang: (AU$165)…..US$142
Warehouse/port charges at Port Klang: (AU$85)…….US$73

There were no fees to pay to customs, and the ICP was completely free. If anyone else tries getting money out of you, make sure it’s legit.
If your looking for any advice or have any questions about the process feel free to contact me.

6 Responses to Shipping moto

  1. Pingback: Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

    • Ps…keep copies of your Australian certificate (green slip) with you along the trip. They may come in handy. Ive used mine at 2 borders where they wanted to see my moto insurance and accepted it.


  2. Ghighi says:

    Quick update as I just went through exactly the same process of shipping my motorbike from Sydney to Kuala Lumpur based ion what I read on this blog 🙂
    On the Australian side I went through Stewart as well from Tradelanes Global Solutions PTY LTD as mentioned above. I paid him AUD $300 for the freight. I went to the customs near Sydney International Airport myself to clear the carnet, however he helped me on the phone with some questions I had when doing the customs. As I did not know how to crate a bike I asked the garage Procycles Hornsby that does this very regularly. They charged me AUD $275 for it, plus Stewart arranged the pick up from the garage to Port Botany for AUD $100.
    On the Malaysian side, I went to the AAM headoffice (Automobile Association of Malaysia) to get an ICP – It was a bit hard to get there (take a train for Central station until Batu Tiga, then walk half an hour). They require a local insurance to deliver the ICP but I gave them my Australian certificate and it worked. They charged me MYR 150 (AUD $54) to deliver the ICP. Once I had it I went to Port Klang to meet with Lan from Alliance Logistics (the office recommended by Stewart). They charged me MYR 509 (AUD $183) for the delivery order. When having the ICP and delivery order I was ready to go clear the customs, for which I was very fortunate that Lan helped me. First of all it is quite complicated to get to Westport where the customs are. There it was a full day of going around to get all the required stamps and it is much better with someone who knows his way. Finally the next day I went to pick up the bike from the warehouse in Westport as well, which charged me MYR 462 (AUD $166).

    Total costs: $1,078 including
    Crating: $275
    Transport to Port Botany: $100
    Freight: $300
    Delivery order: $183
    ICP: $54
    Warehouse: $166


    • Hey, thanks for the update and adding very useful info to my site :). I agree, it was very complicated getting around to all the places, and Stewarts people were a big help. Im jealous that they let you use your Australian certificate! The people at the MAA office refused to except it from me. Hope some of my info came in handy for you. Where are you heading now? Where are you riding to, Europe? Im healing my broken leg at home now, but think ill be back in india to continue mid june.
      Cheers, Ryan


  3. gavin garrett says:

    Hi, Thought I would add with a shipping update.
    I also went through Tradelanes and Stewart after reading this blog and having little luck with other freight companies. I shipped from Brisbane to KL $495AUD and I delivered the crated bike to Brisbane port everything else was covered, I had a Carnet arranged through RACQ $950 of which $250 is refundable on return of the document. The bike arrived in 19 days.
    I had done my research and knew that because it was a first time for me importing into Malaysia and thus I had to fill in the application in person and processing takes at least 7 working days. Now I think Bee and Kelly, from Alliance logistics got a bad rap from you, because for me they were nothing but helpful, they sorted all the paperwork, import form,custom clearance,Carnet signing, icp, insurance, everything, you just have to be patient with the Government departments.
    We had a deadline to meet a tour at the Myanmar border but we got there with a day to spare.
    All up cost,
    Crate: a carton of beer for a steel crate specific to my bike,they through them in the bin after unpacking the new bike at the local dealer.
    Tradelanes $495AUD all up for Australian section.
    Carnet $950 ( the carnet was supposedly only needed for Malaysia but it was also used by officials at a Thai and Cambodian borders.(useful document)
    Alliance logistics $630 All paperwork, taking crate from dock to warehouse etc.
    Total for Freight $1125AUD.
    As I am writing this my bike is still on the ship returning to Australia so I can’t give a final cost but Alliance stored the crate for the 4 months we were in S E Asia and handled all the paperwork to ship back $750AUD.
    While we were waiting in KL the first time Bee kept us informed all the way and took us out for diner twice and paying not to mention chauffeuring us around.On the return to KL the bike was packed and shipment was arranged in 2 days Bee invited us to stay at her house and took us out for diner with some of her friends and even offered the use of a car. No complainants from me.
    Although $2500 all up might seem excessive it would have cost more to hire bikes over 4 months and I know my bike, No breakdowns, not even a puncture.


    • Awesome thanks for the update, hopefully it will come in handy to more people. Maybe I was one of the first motos Bee had dealt with there or something, I don’t know. Sounds like they’re doing a much better job now. I never met her and was basically told to figure it all out myself and the bike would be waiting for me. Hope you had a great ride 😀


Leave a Reply to Ghighi Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s